Once you make the decision to simplify your life you become mindful not only of your possessions but also of the pace of your life. Because yesterday was a classic example of an over scheduled day: yet another open day at a university with our son, a late afternoon drop in to see some visiting family at my parents and a meal out to celebrate a special birthday of a friend.
“I know the title for your next blog post...” teased my tired husband, “Know your limits!” I offered no resistance but muttered to myself, “ I know, I know, I've overcommitted myself again”.
In contrast, today has been a slow, meandering day - just as I like Sundays to be. I have enjoyed:
- being the first to get up (which I like) and watching the early mist clear
- seeing my first autumn spider webs glistening outside in the morning sun
- reading yesterday's paper
- sofa time
- tidying up and sorting washing
- admiring the beautiful blue sky and red leaves on the tree in our garden
- cooking a delicious (if I say so myself) thai curry for my family
What I've learnt is that my schedule can be too tightly packed sometimes. At least now I know when to take my foot of the pedal and take time to enjoy the simple and beautiful things in life. There are many things I should have done today but I chose not to and I feel good about that. I will endeavour to get the balance right next weekend.
How about you? Have you found time to unwind this weekend? I hope so.