1.11.12

Signature Style


As a wannabe minimalist I am trying to edit down my clothes to a point where I own just enough pieces that I like and wear often. Over the last two years I have pared down my clothes collection to a point where my entire clothes collection, including shoes, bags and accessories, fit into my half of the wardrobe and chest of drawers (hubby and I have exactly half the wardrobe and chest of drawer space). I have previously posted about how to get started with editing your clothes collection see here for some tips. 

For me, the benefits of a small functional wardrobe far outweigh the tempting lure of gorgeous new garments. However, I enjoy clothes and fashion and believe that feeling good about my appearance makes me more confident. Therefore, I want to develop a clothes collection that suits me; what fashionistas sometimes call a signature style: a style that doesn't slavishly follow trends but reflects an individual's personality. Finding your signature style is about knowing that boot fit jeans look better on you than skinnies; that you feel fabulous in ballet pumps but ridiculous in heels; it's having the confidence to wear pearls in your twenties as well as in your seventies. Ultimately, it's about choosing clothes that compliment your personality as well as your body shape and colouring.

Still not sure what suits you or what your signature style might be?

Here are my suggestions:
  • Only wear clothes that make you feel comfortable.
  • Edit out clothes that are uncomfortable, feel cheap, or make you feel fat or frumpy.
  • It doesn't matter how much or little an item cost, if it looks good wear it more often.
  • Choose items that accentuate your best features and distract eyes from your worst.
  • Don't save your favourite clothes for special occasions. Wear these items more often. 
  • People watch: if someone has a style you admire, study how they put their look together and try a similar look.
  • Browse magazines from time to time to keep up to date with new trends. You don't have to buy new clothes, you might already own something similar.
  • Got a celebrity girl/boy crush? What's their style? Could you put a similar look together?
  • Shop for clothes in charity shops where the look isn't so homogeneous. 
  • Think back to what you wore when you were a teenager or student. Is there a more grown up version of that look around?
  • Find out where stylish people shop. Follow them (discreetly) into shops you might not have been into before.
  • Choose a statement piece, it doesn't have to be expensive. A striking ring or handbag could enliven your look.
  • Make your look individual with accessories. You can be braver and take more risks with accessories because they are cheaper and take up less space.
  • Experiment. Try different combinations of items you own.
  • A good haircut can be your signature style, as can a beautiful pair of shoes or well-cut coat.

This may all sound a bit frivolous. But finding your signature look can be liberating: you will need less clothes, you won't be at a loss as to what to wear; you'll feel happier and more comfortable and it'll be one less thing to worry about.

Oh, I almost forgot, my signature look... Well, this tunic above (charity shop find in a well-heeled area) over leggings or skinny jeans with boots (flat or slight heel) always make me feel good. Add an owl pendant (also charity shop sourced) and I'm done.

Got any wardrobe tips or experiences? (good, bad or ugly)
Please share xo


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I enjoyed this post and I think you're right on point with finding one's signature look! It took me a couple of years but I found mine also. I tend to wear jeans most of the time, or in the summer 3/4 capris with a top that's unique, flatters my figure yet is still somewhat conservative so I can wear it with either flats or heels. I love to feature my collection of accessories (scarfs, necklaces, bracelets) so I tend to buy tops that can work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, glad you enjoyed reading this. I think you're right a successful wardrobe needs pieces that are staples (jeans,leggings,capris) AND unique/individual items(special accessories as you mentioned). Just popping over to your blog now ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting closer to my signature style all year round. In winter I have it worked out and love wearing jeans. In summer I still struggle and hope to have it worked out by the end of this season (i'm in Australia so it's summer now)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your comments. Keep in touch xo

BLOGGER THEME CREATED BY pipdig