hubs first Yule log - that man can bake!
fun with flames
lamb tagine, yummy
restaurant by the pool
entertaining at home
With the Christmas celebrations nearly over and the New Year fast approaching I'm using this tiny window of time to reflect on Christmas 2012 and make plans for 2013.
The successes of Christmas 2012
- I'm pleased that this year Christmas preparations didn't dominate my time too much; I bought less presents and used on line shopping which relieved some of the stresses of previous years.
- We stuck to our budget but made sure our boys weren't deprived.
- Most of the gifts I gave and received were useful items, experiences or consumables.
- I enjoyed the lead up to Christmas by seeing live music, visiting a German market, carol singing and a works party.
- Christmas Eve remained special with our usual routine of mass and an evening spent with friends.
- We've enjoyed the break from work/school routine, catching up with friends and extended family and taking time to relax and just be.
- I decorated the house with simple decorations. There are items I haven't used and these will be edited out before the Christmas box is taped up for next year.
- On Boxing Day we were treated to a meal out at a restaurant with close family which gave us all a rest from our kitchens. Thank you.
However, I still feel uncomfortable with the excesses of Christmas. For me, there is still too much food and presents.
This week I'll be taking a hard look at what's crept back into our home. I want to make space for new things I've received (mainly books and a few clothes) and donate those that are no longer relevant or useful. As Project 333 draws to a close I'm ready to reduce my wardrobe more permanently. Living in a smaller house (no garage, utility or spare room unlike our previous house) means that any excess stuff has no where to hide and I think this is a good thing.
Prior to moving house in June we did some serious decluttering but six months later it is time to rethink what we own and need, now that we have adjusted to our new home. Time for the first declutter of 2013!
I will continue to work towards a more minimal family Christmas in 2013.
I have a whole year of decluttering ahead of me and can't wait to get started.
More about my decluttering activities next week.
Be back soon...