I don't mind clutter. In fact, I always find a good tidy-up to be therapeutic.
Never far from tidy is how I'd describe our house. Most things have their own place and it doesn't take long to bring order to our clutter hotspots – the worktop in the kitchen, the coffee table in the lounge and the hall floor.
When life gets busy clutter does build up. Clutter is a normal. I don't mind living with a few misplaced items lying around the house – in fact I quite like the house to look a bit lived in. But sometimes (especially if we're expecting visitors) I feel compelled to put everything in order.
The great thing is that since major decluttering and moving to a smaller house having a tidy-up is no longer a gargantuan task and it doesn't take up hours of my time. Here's a few tips just in case you need them.
Quick tidy-up tips
- Start downstairs and work through a room at a time.
- Throw away out of date newspapers and mail.
- Empty any bins.
- Collect stray items together and put away item by item or if you don't have time put them in one container to deal with later.
- Put away items that belong in cupboards - iron, toaster etc...
- Put all laundry and laundry rack away.
- Clear shoes and coats from the hall apart from what you need that day.
- Plump up cushions.
- Put things into piles.
- Clear worktops as much as possible.
- Wipe surfaces quickly.
- Use a dustpan and brush for the floor for a quick fix.
image via pinterest