Back in December this is what I wrote. It's interesting to see how things have turned out:
The word focus will be my theme for 2013 in all aspects of my life. I feel I need to work smarter in my job and develop more routine and structure in my domestic life. On a personal level I hope to focus on
- my writing by doing some freelance work - yes, I am in the middle of doing some writing for a website (holiday properties)
- trying new creative pursuits (I'm not sure which yet) - yes, singing in a choir is new for me
- reading more for pleasure - not really, I would still like to fit in more reading
- home cooking - yes, we're cooking more from scratch and have tried new recipes
- photography - yes my new camera has given me a lot more scope and I feel more confident
- spending money on experiences rather than stuff - yes, we've been to see Hamlet, Tom O'Dell, Educating Rita (theatre), had a holiday in Cornwall and we're hoping to go to Moseley Folk Festival in August
- making a home that is simple but stylish - not much home improvement yet, hopefully I will get more done in the next six months
- creating a capsule wardrobe - yes, I keep editing my clothes (I just need to post about it!)
- developing my blog but keeping it honest and informative - I'm still enjoying my blog and the way it's progressing. Posting five times a week on average is a lot more manageable than daily posts (how did I keep that up for six months?)
- having fun - yes seeing friends and trying new things is fun
- finding new ways to relax - we're doing lots more walking in the local area and I find being outside really changes my outlook and mood
I felt unsure about developing my writing and photography back then and was hesitant about publishing my dreams but I'm glad I did.
It reminds me of the Thoreau quote:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined.Sometimes you have to stop dreaming and get on with making changes. Simply saying to others that you're going to do something can be the first step to realising your dreams.