Minimalist Monday: My Word for 2014
2013 was a monumental year for me as it ended with me leaving my permanent job of twenty-plus years with the determination to seek a more balanced life. Choosing focus as my word/theme for 2013 helped me to realise that my job had become overwhelming and was never going to give me the work life balance that I so desperately crave.
This year I find myself starting the year with increased energy, greater resolve to carve out a life built upon my dreams and values and increased levels of self-acceptance. 2014 has started positively for me but I know it's going to be challenging along the way as I work out my new direction.
After much dilly-dallying I have chosen the word purpose for 2014. I hope it will guide me in the direction of a simpler and more meaningful life.
Purpose is defined as:
1. the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
2. a person's sense of resolve or determination
3. one's intention or objective
In 2014 I am hoping to
- find purpose in new work that I take on
- have more time to offer for voluntary work that I believe has purpose
- downsize my possessions and wardrobe further considering the purpose of all that I own - what do I really need?
- give more of myself to relationships and realise the purpose of my interactions with others
- use my time purposefully so that I can 'be' as well as 'do'
- live purposefully on less and reduce unnecessary spending
Over to you
Can a simpler less materialistic life be purposeful and happy?
Care to share your word/theme for 2014 ? How's it going so far?