16.4.14

Creating a Cosy Corner

Our living room is a place to entertain, laze, gather as a family, sometimes eat, work (hubs works from home at a desk in this room) and where I'm happiest blogging from my laptop on the sofa. It's my room first thing in the morning when the rest of the household slumbers but during office hours I retreat to other parts of the house. Come the evening and weekends it's such a treat to kick back and relax again in this room. 

Hubs has a desk in the corner where there are two windows but the opposite corner (with a third window) has been a little bare since we moved in nearly two years ago. This is where we put the tree at Christmas but we have often talked of making more of this space. Inspired by Atlantic Shopping's Best of British campaign I decided to join in and create my own British themed corner for this room. A tub chair seemed the perfect solution for this small area and I chose a red chair from Atlantic Shopping for its neat shape and cheery colour.

I then set to styling the corner around this little tub chair and Atlantic Shopping's Best of British theme. Oh what fun! Out came a sweet Union Jack cushion cover made by our youngest at school last year (not perfectly made but that's why I love it), a favourite throw and a neat side table from Habitat (no longer available but can be found on Ebay).




To make the space more personal we created two prints based on our favourite holiday destinations in the Far West of Cornwall, Penzance and St. Ives. They hang on the side facing wall by the chair and make the corner more intimate. I quite like the fact that they can't be seen from all angles of the room. Apart from the Ikea frames and chair this little corner has cost very little to put together. 


The front of our house is south facing and when the sun shines the living room gets really warm. Even without the sun this corner is the perfect spot to gaze out of the window and now on this new comfy chair I can read, enjoy a nice cup of tea and dream of sunnier days!



I'm really pleased with our new cosy corner complete with comfy chair. Below is a guide to where the items came from in case you're interested. I hope you like it as much as I do.





SHARE:

21 comments

  1. It looks lovely Claire! That's a nice view from the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your room and especially like the way youve itemised each item and where its from! nice view out of the window too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the red color of the chair - what a nice, light room - something I don't have in my house, surrounded by lots of evergreens. (However, they do look lovely in the winter with snow on them.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tranquil. I like the Union Jack pillows, but I don't think I would want a stars and stripes pillow (I'm American). I must not be patriotic enough, but yours are lovely and whimsical! I think I have the same cup and saucer as you - Ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Claire,

    I love your prints of Penzance and St Ives. Your corner looks cosy and inviting. I am often staring our of the wondow from my corner of the conservatory with a cup of tea in hand.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wonderful, what a lovely corner to sit in. I love the Cornish prints as well, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tremendously cosy indeed! Those prints are fantastic, I have to get cracking on finding frames for the collection of prints now building up in my house, you've inspired me! :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claire you have indeed created a cosy corner and seeing you enjoying it was a delight.
    Your previous post "Brand Happiness" was further inspiration for those like me who are on the path to a simpler life and find that not all of my friends are as far along that path. It was so wonderful to find like minds such as yours via the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan - it's a joy to connect for me also and comments like yours always inspire me to keep writing about simplifying xo

      Delete
  9. What perfect corner to retreat to. We all need a calm space to chill in I find.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet little corner, how did you make the prints? They are gorgeous and some of my favourite places too x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brhhhh. Cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely! We recently created a similar corner in our home and find we use it constantly. A chair by a window is a treat - good light for reading or crafting, or nice just to sit with a cup of tea and gaze outside. I really love the homemade cushion and think any imperfections just add to the charm.

    Can I ask how you made your Cornish prints? I love them to bits. We have some vintage travel posters that we've bought here and there over the years. but I'd love to make some favourite coastal photos into prints, if it's possible. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. Yes, I saw and admired your lovely corner. Our prints were made using Adobe Illustrator, various picture references which influenced a limited colour palette and we used high quality print. A combination of hubs' technical expertise and joint creativity!

      Delete
    2. Claire, thank you. Sadly, I don't think we have that package - I'll ask my husband! x

      Delete
  13. Adore the cushion, looked where to purchase lol! Will your son make one for me???? Lovely spot to chill out, enjoy! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,Love your blog.LOVE that chair.had to smile at the pictures,I live in St.Agnes Cornwall,so glad you love our part of the world I wouldn't live anywhere else.Great cushion too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything about this! Especially those prints and the little side table. A little disappointed to find you created those prints yourself, I would love to pick up one for myself! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to ask for a break leg' in order to pick the best deal by contacting multiple double glazing suppliers. It was really consuming. Now agent's help and guidance is there to help everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving your comments. Keep in touch xo

BLOGGER THEME CREATED BY pipdig